Teacher Training and Staff Development in Our Programs
The Second Step program includes training or professional development opportunities for school staff wrapped into the curriculum.
Teacher Training in the Second Step Program
The Second Step Early Learning program includes a Staff-Training Toolkit on SecondStep.org. All you need is a training facilitator; we provide the rest. The Toolkit has four parts:
- Kick-Off Meeting (approx. 3 hrs): PowerPoint slides with facilitator notes, agenda, and staff handouts
- Support and Monitoring: Checklists, observation form, reflection log, implementation survey, and additional tools
- Check-In Meetings (approx. 30 min. each): Four meeting agendas, one for the end of each unit
- Wrap-Up Meeting (approx. 1 hr): PowerPoint slides with facilitator notes, agenda, and handout
The Second Step K–5 program includes an individual, online training on SecondStep.org that can be taken anytime, anywhere. The training is for staff who will be teaching the lessons and consists of three modules:
- Module 1 (approx. 10 min.): Second Step Overview
- Module 2 (approx. 30 min.): Getting Ready to Teach
- Module 3 (approx. 20 min.): Reinforcing Skills and Concepts
The Second Step Middle School program includes a video-based training on SecondStep.org. All you need is a training facilitator; we provide the rest. The training can be done in one longer session or broken up into shorter ones.
The training consists of four video-based modules and includes facilitator instructions, agendas, and handouts:
- Module 1 (30–40 min.): Success in School, Success in Life (audience: all staff)
- Module 2 (45–55 min.): Exploring the Curriculum (audience: staff teaching the lessons)
- Module 3 (35–45 min.): Teaching Strategies (audience: staff teaching the lessons)
- Module 4 (20–25 min.): Using Lesson Content Every Day (audience: all staff)
Staff Training in the Bullying Prevention Unit
The Second Step Bullying Prevention Unit provides unlimited online staff training. Module 3 of the training provides teachers and counselors valuable instruction about teaching the lessons, following through, and involving families.
Staff Training in the Child Protection Unit
The Second Step Child Protection Unit provides unlimited online staff training. In Module 3 of the training, teachers and counselors learn to teach the lessons, engage families using the materials provided, and overcome discomfort with talking to students about touching safety.